Updated for 2017 – Standard pneumatic firearms are generally loud when fired, which can startle game and annoy your neighbors. If you are only using an air rifle for target practice in an empty field, this is not a problem. Some people simply need a quiet pneumatic firearm. With recent technical advances, some air rifles are almost silent when fired, and we have included brief reviews of some of the top-rated models.
The Quietest Air Rifle – Our Top 5
Gamo Whisper Silent Cat Air Rifle
With the built-in noise dampener, you can reduce noise volume over 50 percent, which makes this one of the quietest air rifles on the market. The .177 caliber air rifle is ideal for target practice and backyard plinking, and its quiet design ensures that you won’t disturb the neighbors. You have the advantage of firing pellets and BBs, and the manual safety helps to prevent accidental misfires.
- The included 4 x 32 rifle scope ensures that all of your shots hit your intended target.
- With a maximum velocity of 1200fps for pellets and 1000fps with BBs, this air rifle can also be used to humanely control pests.
- You also have the benefit of the all-weather construction that helps to ensure long lasting performance and durability.
- While this air rifle does feature a built-in noise dampener, it also cannot be removed which might not appeal to all consumers.
- Even though the trigger is designed for safety, it is not adjustable and can be difficult to pull.
Gamo Varmint Stalker Air Rifle with Bull Whisper Barrel
Not only is this one of the quietest air rifles, but it is also powerful and accurate. The fluted steel barrel helps to prevent rust and corrosion from developing, while also gives you the precision and velocity you need to make humane killing shots. With the impressive noise reduction system, you can target shoot in your backyard without disturbing your neighbors, and the powerful .177 caliber air rifle can also be used to hunt small game and varmints.
- You have the advantage of the fluted barrel and all-weather construction for long-lasting durability and performance.
- With a maximum velocity of 1250fps, you can rip through paper targets and humanely control backyard pests.
- The included 4 x 32 magnification scope helps you line up every shot for precision and accuracy.
- While this is one of the quietest pneumatic rifles, it might not be legal in all neighborhoods.
- The included rifle scope may not be powerful enough to track smaller pests and varmints.
This quiet air rifle is one of the best models for hunting and plinking, even though it does fire .177 caliber pellets. With a maximum velocity of 1420 fps, you can hit targets from a distance with ease and accuracy. You have the advantage of the double noise-reduction technology, which gives you smooth and silent firing power. This model uses inert gas to fire the pellet, which gives the precision and accuracy to punch through your targets, while the included scope ensures that you never miss a shot.
- Along with the noise-reduction system, you also have the benefit of using inert gas to quietly power each shot.
- The two-stage trigger can be adjustable to give you maximum control over your shots.
- With the included 3-9 x 40 magnification rifle scope, you can easily track and line up targets and shots.
- This air rifle is designed to be extremely quiet, but it might not be legal in all neighborhoods.
- While the trigger is adjustable, this silent .177 caliber air rifle can be occasionally difficult to fire.
Beeman R7 Air Rifle
Often thought of as the quietest .177 air rifle, it is also powerful and easy to shoot. They clearly know the high quality of this product and the price is high to reflect that. The smooth spring-loaded firing system and lightweight construction make this a perfect air rifle for recreational target shooting with your family. Not only is it quiet, but it is also easy to aim and fire. It features a non-slip grip and solidly-designed stock to give younger shooters maximum control when they are taking aim at paper targets. The smaller size of this air rifle also makes it comfortable to hold when shooting.
- This .177 air rifle is quiet enough for backyard plinking, while still being incredibly fun to fire.
- With a maximum velocity of 700fps, you can easily shred paper and cardboard targets.
- Not only do you have the advantage of the air rifle’s quiet design, but it is also constructed to be lightweight and safe.
- This air rifle is priced higher than other quiet pneumatic firearms due to its durable, high-quality construction.
- While the .177 caliber air rifle does have a front sight, the scope is not standard and comes as a package deal.
Crosman Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle
With incredible accuracy and quiet firing power, this is one of the best air rifles for backyard shooting. This .177 caliber air rifle uses pre-charged air for silent firing power that has a maximum velocity of 1100 feet per second when you use PBA pellets. It is easy to load and fire, and you also have the advantage of the 10-shot magazine. With the ability to fire up to 20 shots at a time, you can have great bull’s eye groupings every time.
- With its quiet design, this air rifle is ideal for backyard shooting and pest control.
- The barrel is chocked to ensure accuracy and to help deaden any muzzle volume.
- It is designed to be easy to load and fire, so you can enjoy hours of fun plinking and target shooting.
- This .177 air rifle is priced slightly higher than similar models, but it is mainly due to its durable and high-quality construction.
- While this air rifle is powerful enough to use for small game hunting, it should be noted that the type of ammo you use will affect the accuracy and firing power of the pneumatic firearm.
- This is a high-end and very quiet pellet rifle with a price tag that reflects that. This is a high priced air rifle.