Hunting with air rifles is becoming more popular every season and is one of the main reasons why people first become interested in pneumatic firearms. You can find hunting air rifles in calibers ranging from .177 up to the powerful .50, though the most popular and affordable pneumatic firearms are the ones used for pest control and small game. With so many models to choose from, finding the best air rifle for hunting can be difficult, which is why we decided to post this brief review. Here are the top-rated hunting air rifles that are affordable, and most importantly, able to make a humane killing shot.
Best Air Rifles for Hunting Small Game
Hatsan 95 Walnut Stock Air Rifle Combo
Not only is this air rifle affordable, but it also looks and fires like a traditional firearm. You have the advantage of being able to choose between three different calibers, each designed for a particular type of game. Along with being available in .177, .22, and .25 caliber, you also have the advantage of power and accuracy. The break barrel design is easy to load, and you also have the benefit of the included scope and sight.
- This is often considered the best air rifle for hunting, due to its extremely affordable price and caliber options.
- Able to fire lead and alloy pellets, you have the advantage of power and precision with each shot.
- The richly-polished walnut stock gives this air rifle a professional appearance, along with being able to fit comfortably against your shoulder.
- This air rifle does fire slightly louder than similar models which might be a potential problem on some hunting trips.
- The trigger does require a little extra pressure, and might be too difficult to pull for some younger shooters.
Crosman Benjamin Trail NP XL 725 .25 Caliber Nitro Piston
Not only is this the most powerful nitro piston air rifle, it is also extremely accurate, which is why this is one of the best pneumatic firearms for small game hunting. You have the advantage of the powerful muzzle energy and the ability to fire up to 800fps, to ensure that each shot is accurate and humane. This air rifle is designed to effectively take down small game, while still being affordably priced. It also features an all-weather construction that makes it ideal to take with you on almost any hunting trip.
- This is one of the best nitro piston air rifles for small game, and it is also priced to fit any budget.
- You have the advantage of the quiet design, which makes it ideal for use without startling prey.
- The pneumatic firearm is extremely easy to operate and fire, which allows you to concentrate on your prey instead of the air rifle.
- While this is one of the best hunting air rifles, it can lose some of its performance power over time.
- It should be pointed out that this is a .25 caliber air rifle, and finding BBs and pellets can be difficult.
Diana RWS 48 Air Rifle
While this brand might not be as well known as some of the other major air rifle names, there is no denying that this is one of the best pneumatic firearms for small game hunting. This powerful .22 caliber air rifle is designed to humanely take down small game, and its legendary accuracy has also made it a favorite among professional target shooters. It is rated for competition shooting, but small game hunters value this air rifle for its precision and control. With its beautiful construction and lifetime warranty, it is easy to see why this air rifle remains a consumer favorite.
- This air rifle is rated for competitive target shooting contests, and its power and accuracy make it a favorite among small game hunters.
- You have the advantage of precise balance and weight with this air rifle, which gives you amazing accuracy with every shot.
- The side lever design makes this rifle easy to cock when you are lining up your shot.
It should be noted that this air rifle is designed for serious small game hunters and professional target shooters, which is reflected in the higher price.
This air rifle is also loud when fired, which might not be ideal for all types of small game hunting.
Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle
This top-rated air rifle is a favorite among small game hunters for its affordable price, and firing power. You can choose from .177, .22, and .25 caliber to find the perfect caliber for the type of game you are hunting, and you also have the benefit of the smooth firing ability. It is easy to load and fire, and the hardwood finish gives this pneumatic firearm a professional and elegant appearance.
- This air rifle lets you switch between CO2 and pre-compressed air to ensure smooth and accurate shots at any distance.
- You have the advantage of the affordable price, along with the durable and lightweight construction.
- With its precise and accurate shooting ability, this air rifle also is great for target practice.
- While this is a powerful air rifle, the caliber will make a difference in what type of small game you can humanely hunt.
- It should be mentioned that while you can switch between CO2 and compressed gas, the cost of the replacement canisters should be factored into your budget.
Browning Leverage Air Rifle
Not only is this one of the best air rifles, but it is also ideal for hunting small game and pest control. It is affordably priced and extremely accurate, and is available in both .177 and .22 caliber. With the .22 caliber model you can humanely hunt small game and control pests, and you have the advantage of a maximum velocity of 800fps. The included 3-9 x 40 scope and sturdy trigger give you the control and accuracy you need to make every shot.
- With its durable and solid construction, this air rifle is designed to last and it is also weather resistant.
- The improved rifle scope lets you accurately line up each shot before pulling the trigger.
- You have the advantage of the air rifle’s amazing accuracy up to 25 feet in some situations.
- This air rifle is priced higher than some other models, but it is also designed to be powerful, accurate, and precise.
- The trigger is designed to be slightly heavier than other air rifles, and may be difficult for some shooters to pull.