While air rifles can be used for pest control, competition shooting, and small game hunting, by far the most common use will always be the fun and simple sport of plinking. There is nothing more fun and entertaining than getting together with friends and family for an afternoon of target shooting. Whether you are aiming for tin cans or paper targets, there are some air rifles that are better for recreational shooting than others. If you are looking for an air rifle that is affordable, safe, and accurate, there are some top rated models that you should consider.
Best Plinking Air Rifle List
Crosman 1077 Air Rifle
This .177 caliber air rifle is designed to be fun and safe to fire, and features a maximum velocity of 625 feet per second. It hist targets accurately from a distance, and the CO2 powered firing system lets you shred paper targets. Ideal for a fun afternoon of target shooting, this air rifle is also one of the best models for plinking. You also have the advantage of the 12 shot clip, which lets you group or spread your shots out.
- You have the advantage of being able to fire up to 12 rounds as fast as you can press down on the trigger.
- With the front sight and windage adjuster, you can easily line up with the target for impressive accuracy and precision.
- It is lightweight and very durable making it an ideal air rifle for recreational shooting.
- At less than $70, it is a great price point for hours of fun and will last for many years.
- While this air rifle is affordably priced, the cost of the replacement CO2 canisters should be factored in to your budget.
- While it does have mount for a scope, most models do not include a scope as part of the package.
Winchester Model M 14 Semi-Auto CO2 Air Rifle
Not only is this also another very affordable air rifles, but it is also designed to be fun and safe to use. The rifled steel barrel helps to improve accuracy and aim, while the CO2 powered firing system is capable of speeds up to 700 feet per second. Not only can you accurately hit your targets from a distance, but this repeating air rifle also lets you enjoy the experience. The 16-shot magazine will hold pellets as well as BBs, and this .177 caliber air rifle will fire as fast as you are able.
- It is affordable priced for recreational shooting at under $80, and is designed to be durable and long lasting.
- The rear sight can be adjusted, and the front sight helps you accurately line up each shot.
- The 16 round clip lets you group your shots together or simply shred the paper target to pieces.
- While you do have the advantage of the sights, this .177 caliber air rifle does not include a scope.
- It should be noted that this is a fun air rifle, but it still requires the use of CO2 canisters which can be expensive to replace.
Benjamin 392 Pump Air Rifle
There are several reasons why this is one of the best air rifles for fun, which includes its bolt action and variable pump firing system. You have the benefit of the beautiful wood stock designed in the elegant Monte Carlo style. The rifled barrel helps to ensure accuracy and precision, along with the adjustable folding sights. Capable of a maximum firing velocity of 800 fps, this is a fun and powerful .177 caliber air rifle.
- The variable pump helps to give your shots power and velocity, while the single bolt action ensures that you only fire when you are ready.
- You have the advantage of the real hardwood stock that is styled after the comfortable and classic Monte Carlo firearms.
- With the ability to fire up to 800 feet per second, you can hit even the most difficult target from a distance. It also comes in a .22 caliber version if that’s what you’re looking for. See here for the slightly more expensive .22 cal version.
- This is a very nice rifle and the price reflects that. The .177 is around $130 and the .22 is around $160.
- The bolt action can be difficult for some smaller shooters to pull back, and lock in place.
Lancer Tactical M4 Replica Airsoft
It takes a lot for an airsoft rifle to be considered when developing a list for the top plinking air rifle. When it comes to plinking, this airsoft rifle is about as fun as it gets. You can easily shred paper targets or take out coke cans with this 400 fps rifle capable of firing in FULL AUTO! Capable of firing at speeds of up to 1000 rounds per minute, you can quickly go through the massive 300 round magazine.
- The high rate of fire when place in full auto is something you have to experience to appreciate. It is really fast and really fun.
- If you’re concerned about safety, airsoft BBs are a safer option while still enjoying the fun of plinking targets.
- The 300 round magazine ensure you have plenty of capacity for fun times.
- If you’re looking for a plinking air rifle that doubles for hunting, this is probably not the rifle for you.
- Design – some people are not a fan of a plinker that mimics a tactical weapon in appearance.
Daisy 880 Multi Pump Air Rifle
Sleek and authentic looking, this .177 air rifle is simple fun to fire. The rifled steel barrel helps to improve accuracy, and you also have the advantage of a maximum velocity of 750 feet per second. The multi pump is easy to use, and also gives you more control over your shots. With the Monte Carlo designed stock and a 50 shot magazine, you can comfortably hold and shot this fun and accurate air rifle.
- The variable power option is great for shooting target OR hunting vermin.
- The included rifle scope helps you accurately line up each shot before you take it.
- With its affordable price, this is the best .177 caliber air rifle for recreational use.
- This air rifle is designed for recreational shooting and is not designed primarily hunting purposes.
- While this is a fun and accurate .177 caliber air rifle, it might not be suitable for more experienced marksmen.